Vanilla World of Warcraft was so long ago…
“Thank you for the days. Those endless days, those sacred days you gave me.I’m thinking of the days. I won’t forget a single day believe me…”
‘Days’ by Kirsty McColl has been going round and round my head for the best part of a week now, and according to the daily prompt from The Daily Post I must now write whatever it was I was going to write about but include that line, which I’ve kind of done now. Hurrah.
That aside, I have thought a lot about all the things that have changed in World of Warcraft since those good old vanilla days. I’m not going to harp on and on about how good vanilla WoW was, as they are essentially two completely different games now but there are many things that have been and gone and I’d like to take a moment to go through the list, kind of like a memorial.
Vanilla World of Warcraft Changes
- Hunters having to make sure they have enough ammunition
- Shaman being Horde only / Paladins being Alliance only
- Crossroads / Tarren Mill constantly under attack
- Guild Alliances to down 40 man raids
- Cost of 100% mounts was 1000g and was insanely difficult to get
- No flying mounts.
- Leveling up your weapon / unarmed skills
- Every group wanted a Warlock with them for summons
- Restoration Shaman was pretty much the only accepted Shaman build
- Hunters had to learn pet skills from other animals, and rare pets had better stats.
- Talent trees that looked like this…
- One of the male trolls jokes was a paraphrase of the Sublime song, Smoke two Joints, ‘Kill two Dwarves’
- Tauren had no mounts and had something called Plainsrunning, though this was removed in Patch 1.1.0
- All Auction Houses did not share the same inventory
- Shaman had limited tanking ability
- No Dual Spec, you could reset but not switch between two.
- No LFR / LFG, finding groups for anything often meant spamming chat channels for Looking for Group requests
I’m sure there are many, many more changes after all vanilla World of Warcraft was over a decade ago now. Wow. Anyway, let me know the ones that you can think of in the comments bit below…