The 2013 IndieCade Festival will have 36 of the year’s best indie games playable for the thousands of festival attendees attending the annual event on Saturday – Sunday, Oct. 5 – 6, 2013 in Culver City, Calif. In addition to the 36 finalists, more than 120 games will be playable at the festival in the IndieCade, PlayStation, Nintendo, Ouya and Oculus Rift exhibits.
Those 36 finalists have been chosen from over 850 submissions that came from all over Europe, Canada and the United States.
Stephen Barish, the CEO of Indiecade said that “the breadth and quality of this year’s IndieCade selections are unsurpassed, submissions and attendance has doubled in the past few years and it is incredible to see as well as celebrate the explosion of true creativity and innovation coming from the independent community.”
“The true theme of this year’s festival is growing diversity in format of games, and a growing emphasis on social play – multiplayer games, games that are played in public or in groups,” explained Sam Roberts, Jury Chair and Festival Director, IndieCade “This year, the diversity and excellence of our submissions continued to grow.”
The 36 games and developers nominated by IndieCade’s international jury this year are:
- [code] – Rambod Kermanizadeh & Aaron Silbering
- 99 Tiny Games – Hide & Seek
- Constellation – Cosmic Games
- Cube & Star: A Love Story – Doppler Interactive
- Deadbolt – Elizabeth Sampat
- Dog Eat Dog – Liwanag Press
- Edgar Rice Soirée – Copenhagen Game Collective
- Ephemerid – SuperChop Games
- Extrasolar – Lazy 8 Studios
- Gone Home – The Fullbright Company
- Gunpoint – Suspicious Developments
- Hermit Crab in Space – Golden Ruby Games
- Kentucky Route Zero – Cardboard Computer
- Kulak – David Coss
- Luxuria Superbia – Tale of Tales
- Movers and Shakers – Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game lab
- NIDHOGG – MESSHOF
- Other – Quartic Llama
- Perfect Woman – Peter Lu & Lea Schönfelder
- Pico – Digital Dream Quartet
- Porpentine’s Twine Compilation – Porpentine
- Quadrilateral Cowboy – Blendo Games
- Reus – Abbey Games
- Rogue Legacy – Cellar Door Games
- Rollers of the Realm – Phantom Compass
- Save the Date – Paper Dino Software
- Simian.Interface – Vested Interest
- Sokobond – Alan Hazelden & Harry Lee
- Soundodger – Studio Bean
- Spaceteam – Henry Smith
- Spin the Bottle: Bumpie’s Party – KnapNok Games & Redgrim
- Starseed Pilgrim – Droqen & Ryan Roth
- SUPER TIME FORCE – Capybara Games
- That Dragon, Cancer – Josh Larson
- TowerFall – Matt Makes Games
- Upgrade Soul – Opertoon
During the Festival, the nominated and award winning games will be exhibited at a fire station in downtown Culver City, Calif. as part of the IndieCade Village.
Attendees can stop at the registration booth on the corner of Main Street and Culver Boulevard, to pick up wristbands that will provide access to the fire station, all exhibited digital games, as well as the chance to participate in the live-action Big Games tournaments, activities, workshops and the closing awards ceremony.
Festival Day wristbands are available for $20 at Brown Paper Tickets.
Individuals interested in learning about the game development process can attend IndieCade’s Game U, a special conference that takes place on Sunday, Oct. 6, which will cover an introduction to game development tools, processes, roles and opportunities to meet working professionals in the game industry. Tickets are available for $125 or $65 for students with IDs, via Brown Paper Tickets.